Nutrition tips that heal and promote muscle recovery
- Remain consistent with fluid and quality food intake to support tissue repair, reduce swelling, diminish inflammation, optimize bone health, and immune function.
- Focus primarily on consuming lean protein at each meal paired with plenty of colorful produce (fruits and veggies).
- Protein for optimal healing should range from (2.0- 2.2 g/kg/bw/d to support optimal recovery).
- Creatine supplementation has been proven in the research to reduce the loss of lean mass and strength following discontinued use while healing from surgery or injury. (position stand papers referenced in my previous blog on creatine here).
- Choose a small amount of protein + fruit before and after rehab sessions.
- Do not stop eating for fear of putting on weight. Consume plenty of protein and produce at meals and snacks to ensure you are getting in enough calories to promote healing and recovery. (WORK WITH A RD to manage your kcal intake).
- Prioritize protein that is rich in leucine, low-fat Greek yogurt, fish, poultry, beef, steak, eggs, and low-fat dairy/full-fat dairy.
- Consume foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation and swelling while speeding up recovery.
- Salmon, mackerel, sardines, tuna, chia seeds, flax seeds, avocado, and unsalted nuts.
- Focus on zinc, calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium-rich foods
Click here to download my Optimal Performance and Injury Injury Rehab Nutrition Handout Here.
In good health and wellness,
Wendi Irlbeck, MS, RDN, LD, CISSN is a registered dietitian nutritionist and performance coach. Wendi utilizes evidence-based science to tailor nutrition programs for athletes to optimize performance, minimize health risks, and enhance recovery from training while focusing on injury prevention. She partners with parents, sports performance staff, and special needs and recreational athletes to offer nutritional guidance and optimal athletic performance and lifestyle plans. Wendi provides virtual services including telehealth but is based in Nashville, TN. Wendi works with clients of all levels and ages across the US as well as Canada and the UK. You can find more about Wendi and scheduling an appointment with her on her website.
Testimonials of Wendi’s expertise from colleges, coaches, parents, young athletes, and high school administrators can be found at the testimonial link on her website. You can also follow Wendi on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more nutrition information. Service