- 2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- (2) 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 6 handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1.5 lean ground turkey (93% or 99%)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- In a large nonstick skillet, add the oil, ground turkey, and onion. Cook meat for about 10 minutes until no longer pink. Add seasoning, garlic, pepper, beans, and cook for another few minutes.
- Transfer to a slow cooker pot (6-8 quarts). Stir in the remaining ingredients listed above. *Add spinach last along with pumpkin puree
- Cover and cook on low for a few hours or until heated to desire. Season with additional salt, cumin, and garlic.
Top with avocado slices, sour cream, or low-fat Greek yogurt as a yummy topping!
The recipe serves a family of 6-8 with leftovers you can freeze for a cold day!
Make sure to always power up your day with protein and produce at the very least along with plenty of quality carbohydrates to support good energy levels, and fight the risk of disease!
Looking for quick meals and snacks for your young athlete or busy lifestyle? Check out one of our popular, “no cooking required” blogs for athletes!” Wendi also provides several gems in our most recent blog, “A Student-Athlete’s Guide to Healthy Eating on the Road“.
In good health and wellness,
Wendi Irlbeck, MS, RDN, LDN, CISSN
Wendi Irlbeck, MS, RDN, CISSN is a registered dietitian nutritionist and performance coach. She utilizes evidence-based science to tailor nutrition programs for athletes to optimize performance, minimize health risks, and enhance recovery from training while focusing on injury prevention. She partners with parents, sports performance staff, and special needs and recreational athletes to offer nutritional guidance and optimal athletic performance and lifestyle plans. Wendi provides virtual services and on-site nutrition counseling. Wendi works with clients of all levels and ages across the US as well as Canada and the UK. You can find more about Wendi and scheduling an appointment here.
Testimonials of Wendi’s expertise from partnering with colleges, coaches, parents, young athletes, and high school administrators can be found at the testimonial link on our website. Follow Wendi on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more nutrition information.