This recipe is for my chocolate, coffee, and oat lovers out there! A high-quality breakfast option to get your motor revving for a great day filled with plenty of high energy. Not only is this protein oat recipe tasty, but it is also nourishing and simple! Be sure to omit the espresso if you wish or use decaffeinated for young adults.
For kids and teens, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) suggests those between the ages of 12 to 18 should not exceed caffeine intake beyond 100 mg (the equivalent of about one cup of coffee).
Feel free to pair the mocha mason jar oats with a few hard-boiled eggs for added protein. Or you can increase the whey protein serving to meet protein needs.
- 1 cup Low-fat Fair life milk
- 1 cup whole-grain oats or Kodiak Cakes Oats
- 1/2 scoop chocolate Quest Whey Protein Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. baking cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder or decafinated espresso powder
- 1.5 Tbsp. honey
Add fruits, healthy fats, and additional seeds for toppings
- 1/2 banana (sliced)
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries or cherries
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 chopped Quest Mocha Chocolate Chip Protein bar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Nuts’ n More dark chocolate almond butter
- Use discount code 143NWW for 15% off your next order on any nut or powdered nut butter products!
- Mix all ingredients together
- Cover and refrigerate all of your ingredients for 12 hours or overnight (minus the toppings- add those later)
- Distribute contents into mason jars and add desired toppings
Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day because as I say, “all meals matter”! But breakfast is important to kick start the day for energy and you can do this by powering up with protein and quality carbohydrates. Be sure to check out my previous breakfast blog for other ideas on simple grab-n-go options for both young athletes and adults trying to be healthier!
We also have some delightful protein pancake recipes and Greek yogurt parfait options available for all. Be sure to follow us on Instagram for other yummy recipes. If you also haven’t subscribed to our monthly newsletter take the time to do so. FREE recipes, blogs, and more are all sent right to your inbox!
In good health and God bless,
Wendi Irlbeck, MS, RDN, CISSN