Spicy Bison Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground bison
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 strips of bacon or turkey bacon diced up
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Add avocado for added healthy fat and flavor
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
- Spinach, tomato, mushrooms, pickles, or any other desired toppings!
- Safety: Cook burgers to a 145 °F minimum temp*
Sweet potato buns:
- Peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds.
- The middle of the sweet potato is best for being used as “buns” as that is where they are the widest.
- Drizzle some olive oil on them and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat or use a grill (I prefer using the grill)
- Once the oil melts add the sweet potato rounds.
- These cook fast because they are such a lean source of protein! About 3-4 minutes on the first side and only 2-3 on the second in a skillet or cook on the grill!
As you know I grew up on wild-game and it is also an incredibly rich source of protein and overall nutrition! Something you may not know about bison…
- Ground bison is lower in calories because it’s lower in total fat content.
- Bison has a similar amount of protein, but a higher protein-to-fat ratio to other meats.
- Bison has better omega 6 omegala 3 ratios, with fewer overall inflammatory omega 6s.
A serving of bison cooked from a raw, 113-gram (4-ounce) serving contains:
- Calories: 124
- Protein: 17 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Saturated fat: 2.5 grams
- Iron: 13% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Selenium: 31% of the DV
- Vitamin B12: 68% of the DV
- Zinc: 35% of the DV