Practice how you want to perform….(Learn through graphics)
When I played sports in high school and college my coaches would always say, “you perform as you practice.” There’s a lot of wisdom with that! I ran cross country in high school but also played softball. I actually went on to play college softball and wish I would have known then what I know now.
Fueling competition day!
Experiment with your eating schedule on a practice day so you can identify the best strategy to give you energy and peak performance! This is applicable to coaches, parents, and athletes of all ages! What we eat directly affects how we perform. Use my “4-2-1” eating schedule with some of these meal ideas to try out for your own fueling plan WITH PICTURES!!
👇 NWW’s🍉rule of👍 : “4-2-1 method”
What are some ideas during half-time, between quarters or periods?
What are some other meals and snack ideas??
Breakfast ideas (how to create a breakfast habit)
- Premier protein shake + apple
- 2 Eggs, spinach, tomatoes, blueberries, whole-grain toast/oatmeal
- Fruit smoothie with Fair life milk, Greek yogurt, chia, spinach
- Kodiak Cakes waffle, English muffin, pancakes + hard-boiled egg
- Greek yogurt parfait + fruit, with oatmeal
- Oatmeal cup, string cheese, fruit
- Strawberries, peanut butter toast + Core power protein drink/Orgain protein drink
Smart snack ideas
- Hard-boiled eggs + whole-grain toast with banana slices
- String cheese with pepper sticks and hummus
- Greek yogurt with fruit
- Beef jerky with cucumbers or apple
- 2 oz. Deli turkey slices with a pear
- Protein bar (Quest protein bars, Pure Protein, One Bar, Kirkland protein bar, RX bar)
Lunch and dinner ideas
- 4-5 oz. 99% Ground turkey, baked sweet potato, 1 cup roasted vegetables + avocado slices
- Grilled steak, steamed brown rice (1 cup or 1-2 fists), ~ 1 cup roasted vegetables
- Baked salmon, quinoa (1 cup or 1-2 fists), spinach side salad, ¾ cup pineapple
- Oatmeal (1-2 cups), toppings of choice (nuts, dried fruit, flax, Fair life milk, cinnamon), fruit salad (1 cup), 4 oz.
- Egg omelet or frittata with veggies (spinach, onions/mushrooms, sweet potatoes/potatoes in omelet/frittata or on the side), side of melons (1 cup), or berries
- Greek yogurt w/ oats & berries (try plain Greek and add almond butter)
- Taco bowl with tofu, spices, corn, lettuce, spinach, peppers, and brown rice
There’s no such thing as magic meals. You must eat and fuel properly in the days leading up to competition and this blog provides a surplus of ideas for athletes to experiment with. Use this additional flow summarizing 4-2-1 TM.
-Wendi A. Irlbeck, MS, RDN, LD, CISSN
The Nutrition with Wendi team utilizes evidence-based science to tailor nutrition programs for athletes to optimize performance, minimize health risks, and enhance recovery from training while focusing on injury prevention. We partner with parents, sports performance staff, and special needs and recreational athletes to offer nutritional guidance and optimal athletic performance and lifestyle plans. We provide virtual services including telehealth but are based in Nashville, TN. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more nutrition information. Service